When you work from home, it doesn’t really matter what you look like. Nobody sees you unless you decide to work from a coffee shop (something I rarely did because I didn’t have a laptop) or you go to the grocery store. It’s easy to get into a rut.
When I got a job outside the home, I was thrilled to retire my ripped jeans and pathetic rotation of four nursing tank tops…and my mom was thrilled to help me do it. In addition to getting a new, work-appropriate wardrobe, we went to Sephora and completely overhauled my skincare and makeup routine. Since then, I’ve slowly added other products I love, and I thought it might be fun to share a few of them with you guys – in case you haven’t heard of them, or you know something better!
(1) Fresh Umbrian Clay treatment bar – I know this thing is pricey at $XXX but it lasts forever. I recommend getting your hands wet instead of the actual bar, then applying it like a mask at the beginning of your shower. When I’m ready to get out, I wash it off and rub it in around my nose, which is the part of my face that gets oily.
(2) First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream – I have dry skin around my chin, which is also the place that gets acne. This stuff really hydrates. I love it, and you don’t need a lot, so the big tub lasts forever.
(3) I used to use Boscia oil free hydration when I needed a sunscreen. It’s really lightweight, and I love it. Now my foundation has sunscreen so I only use this if I’m not wearing foundation. On a related note, I tried Boscia Self-Defense Vital Antioxidant Moisture SPF 30 hoping for a higher SPF…but broke out in a major way. If you want to try it, I’d recommend getting a sample from Sephora before buying it (though Sephora’s return policy is fantastic – I returned the full-price tube, no questions asked).
After using these two items, I start my makeup routine (more on that in a later post).
I take a shower at night also, so I start with (2) Fresh Soy Cleanser using my (1) Clarisonic. I used their delicate skin brush for a long time, but recently started using their normal brush and liked the results from it. I love the Fresh Soy Cleanser because it’s really gentle (plus, it smells great). I’ve written an ode to my Clarisonic before, but I’ll say it again: that sucker was worth every penny. It’s made a huge difference in my skin.
(3) Coconut oil – When I first started using coconut oil on my skin, I hadn’t heard of anyone using this. A friend told me about it, and I thought he was crazy – I was sure oil would cause my skin to break out. Remarkably, it did the exact opposite. No single product has changed the texture of my skin the way coconut oil has. I’ve always had clogged pores around my jawline, and they have almost totally disappeared with the use of coconut oil. My happy place is about three times a week using coconut oil as a moisturizer. I take a small, dime-size or smaller amount, rub it into clean skin, and leave it.
On nights that I don’t use coconut oil, I start with (4) Ren Night Repair serum. Like coconut oil, I was doubtful at first about the texture of a serum – I thought it would clog my pores. This is very moisturizing, and as it turns out my problem with acne was likely that my skin was too dry, not that it was too oily.
I follow up the Ren with (5) Boscia Oil Free Nightly Hydration, which is a great, light moisturizer.
Note: I do not use an eye cream and probably should, considering I am now officially past 3o. Sigh…
I use each of the following masks once per week.
(1) Fresh Rose Face Mask - This is a hydrating mask, which smells amazing. It has actual rose petals in it, which eventually dissolve. When I first tried this, my skin stung a little, so I returned it. Later, I read somewhere that it’s normal, so I tried it again and now I love it. My skin feels a lot softer after use.
(2) Fresh Umbrian Clay Mattifying Mask – I use this on my nose and jawline, which tend to get blackheads and clogged pores. I’ve noticed it helps reduce them.
(3) Boscia Bright White Mask – This mask is hydrating and evens skin tone. It’s a peel-off, which is always fun. I use either the Bright White Mask or the Boscia Luminizing Black Mask – Note – you will look like the Creature from the Black Lagoon when you have this on. It is seriously BLACK. It also helps brighten skin tone and moisturize.
Things I use periodically:
(1) Boscia Tsubaki Beauty oil - super moisturizing. You definitely don’t need a lot. I got this as a sample and will likely buy more.
(2) Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil Light – I use this when my skin is dry and angry. It’s fantastic!
(3) Glam Glow SuperMud – This is a mask I am on the fence about. I use it on my nose and jawline periodically to help reduce acne. It’s very expensive for the size and I’m not 100% sold on it yet. Anyone have experience with it or something similar?
Do you use and love (or hate) any of these products? Got any you’d recommend? I love to try new things. :)
(Note, I’m not getting any money from Sephora from this post – I just love them!).