Moo Card Photo Collage, a la Stinkerpants

2178654098_02dff3fd38.jpg

{ photo credit }

Last night my friend Lisa introduced me to Sabine Scherer (a great photographer) and Stacy McCainLisa’s business cards.  If you’re still with me after all that, I’ll get to my point:  Lisa (the second one, haha) uses Moo Cards for business cards.  These are fantastic little cards, especially if you’re an artist or a photographer.  They’re an odd size–about half the size of a regular business card–and the colors are really bright and high quality.  They’re fun to use as business cards because people always comment on the odd size. (check out her event planning website! I love the circus logo!), and we got talking about our other friend

I have some moo cards, but I don’t use them as business cards (I’m more of a “let’s get 1000 business cards for $50″ kind of girl).  While we were talking, I told these lovely ladies that I’d share the project I did with Moo cards–so here it is!  :)

I first heard about Moo cards a couple of years ago through Flickr.  They were doing a giveaway because they’d just launched.  When I got my trial pack I totally wanted more; something about their size made me want to collect them (and people totally do!).

What to do with them, though?   I decided to create a piece of artwork for our living room, which showcased the 18-day cross-country roadtrip that Y and I took in 2006 (Ohio to Maine to San Francisco).

This piece of artwork took a bit of planning and was kind of a headache, but I think it turned out really well–definitely worth the effort.  It’s a conversation piece, too, which is always fun:

img_9925.jpg

This big collage is made up of 100 little Moo Cards–some are horizontal and some are vertical.

img_9918.jpg

Even closer up:

img_9920.jpg

As you can imagine, figuring out how to arrange 100 cards so they end up forming a perfect rectangle is kind of frustrating.  It’s like a puzzle.

But I already did all the work, so I thought I’d make a chart for you guys, just in case you want to do this yourself:

collage.gif

The collage uses 100 moo cards (make sure you order the mini cards).  When picking your photos, make sure to orient 60 of them horizontally and 40 of them vertically.  I haven’t ordered from them in years, but I recall that it was very easy, because we already had our photos on Flickr.

I (obviously) made a giant collage (finished size was 27″ wide by 11″ high), but if you wanted to, you could split this in half to make two, or in thirds to make three separate pieces.

Framing tip:

The most frustrating part of this project wasn’t actually the arranging of the cards: it was getting a mat cut for the frame.  I went to Aaron Brothers and asked for a mat, which they had to cut five times.  Apparently, mats are usually made so they cut off 1/4″ of the artwork all the way around.  Doing that for this project, though, looks really bad–you miss half of a moo card if you take away 1/4″ inch of it.   Make sure to specify that the measurements you provide (27″ x 11″) are the exact measurements of the part you want cut out.

I’m not sure what any of you will do with this, but maybe it’ll inspire you to make a piece of art out of your wedding photos!

(And to Sabine and Stacy–it was great to meet you last night!)

This entry was posted in Displaying Memories, Personal Projects. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Moo Card Photo Collage, a la Stinkerpants

1. StefK says:

Oh my gosh, I Sooooooooooooo want to do this with our honeymoon photos!! AND our wedding photos!! We have 600 HM and 2000 wedding pics…would 26 of these awesome artworks be overkill??? :)

2. Stinkerpants says:

LMAO Stef! You crack me up!

3. Marion says:

DUDE! Ed Pingol made mini moo cards of our engagement photos and I never thought of making something like this! MINI MOO TETRIS! You are a f*cking genius!

Ok, so you can purchase 100 mini-moo cards with a different image on each one? That’s pretty rad.

4. katiethelady says:

this is awesome! I’m totally inspired. Think this might be my next project…

5. This is so COOL. It’s a great way to get all those pictures in. I’m thinking that I’ll make some collages for the upcoming holidays….

6. sandy says:

This looks so great! Thanks so much for sharing this project!

I wanted to ask you if you could share other ideas how to best display wedding pictures. Have you done this for your own wedding pictures? I don’t want to order a giant print for my house, but I’d like to get good use of all the pictures I paid for…any ideas/projects you could share would be so appreciated :)

7. Sweet T says:

love this! Have been meaning to make a Moo collage for a while… thanks for the chart!

8. :::Lyzz::: says:

I can totally see this project done for wedding pictures since most bride usually have so many pictures. I like the idea, I might have to do it for the wedding pics.

9. Christine says:

what a great idea… i’m inspired now! thanks for sharing.

10. Kim says:

I’m totally doing this! Thanks for drawing out the chart so that we know how to arrange them. Great idea! :)

11. suzanne says:

This looks like a great project! Very original idea!

Do you think you could post a pic of the frame on the wall or in relation to some other object just so we can see the final size? I can’t tell just how small those pictures turned out to be.

Thanks!

12. Bri says:

I NEVER do anything DIY or artsy/crafty. And you have completely inspired me! This will be my project next week! Be prepared for lots of lame follow-up questions…

13. walletpuppy says:

I love this idea for our honeymoon photos!!!

Your collage looks great!

14. You are so unbelievably clever that you really do make me sick sometimes. I adore this and will probably steal this idea from you. Don’t worry I’ll be sure to give you artistic credit;)

15. Amy I. says:

Jumping on the you-inspired-me bandwagon… I’m loving this idea! Getting the mat right scares me a little bit though. BTW, just noticed the new thing on your sidebar (This is what love looks like…). I LOVE it!!

16. Lisa says:

You are so darn crafty. I love you and am happy to call you my friend :)

17. Jen says:

I love the idea of moo cards but I wasn’t sure what to do with them if I ordered them. This is such a great idea!! I just might try this.

18. Molly says:

ooohhh…this could make a really awesome wedding gift for Alex. What did you affix the moo cards to and with what?

19. suzanne says:

I just wanted to come back and let you know that I did this! I converted all my photos to black and white first so that they would all be in the same color scheme and I ended up splitting them up (50 cards for one trip, 50 cards for another trip) — this way they fit into an easily found 11×14 frame.

To Molly — I dont know what she used, but I used scrapbook glue (the kind that is safe for photos) and I glued them onto the stock photo that came inside the frame I bought.

They look great in our house and we have already gotten tons of compliments! Thanks so much for this project idea!

20. Stinkerpants says:

I’m so glad you guys liked this! For some reason I thought I responded again, but I guess I didn’t! Oops. :-/

Molly, I just used double-stick tape on a plain piece of paper.

Suzanne–I’d love to see what you came up with? Take a picture and share it when you have time!

21. Kim says:

How much did your custom frame cost?

22. Danielle says:

Just finished one of these for my husband for our 1 year anniversary. It turned out great. Thanks for the idea!!!

One thing though… I don’t know if I did something differently (I used your card layout, and the mini moos, so I don’t know what). But the finished size of the collage was actually 11 x 27.5. I originally had the mat set to be cut for 11 x 27, but it would have eaten 1/4 of an inch off of the ends. So, I was able to get them to change the opening on the mat to 11 x 27.5, and it was perfect. There was just the teensiest sliver of moo card left to keep it from falling through the mat.

Also, for those that asked about frame size, I ended up using a 14 x 30 frame. This left me with about 1.5 inches of mat all around.

23. StefK says:

Doing this project for my husband for our anniversary (with our honeymoon photos). I’m SOO excited. I was going to go today to check out custom mats, and I wanted to just double-check/verify the size of the cards on the moo website. It looks like Danielle is right though…the dimensions should come out to be every so teeny-tiny slightly larger than 11×27.5!

How big is the frame that you used, Sara??

24. Stinkerpants says:

You know what, Danielle? I think my mat is 11×27.5, and you’re right–the moo cards are a bit underneath the mat!

The frame actually isn’t custom–I found it at Michael’s. It’s a 17″ x 39″ frame. :) Unfortunately, I don’t remember how much it cost! But I’m sure I used one of their 40% off coupons. :)