Nailed! Our New House Numbers

6a00d83451647b69e2011278dd6e2628a4-320wi.jpg

A few months ago, I saw an awesome post from Daily Danny about artwork made with tacks.  I immediately starred it on my Google Reader and filed it in the forefront of my brain.  I needed to do this for our house numbers (well, technically, our “fence” numbers, as this is on a fence you go through to enter our apartment). A long time ago I painted the house numbers on an old tile and haphazardly tied it to the fence.  It looked terrible, and I wanted something much nicer.

I actually started this project about a month ago.  I got the “42″ done, then procrastinated.  I’m happy to say that I finished it this weekend, and I think it looks great!

img_0732.jpg

The secret to getting the numbers (or letters, if that’s your bag) perfect is to find a font you like and print it out on your home printer, then tack it to the fence (or wood, or wall).

img_0739.jpg

In order to get the tacks in the correct place, use needle-nose pliers and a hammer.

img_0741.jpg

Then rip your paper off!  I actually had kind of a problem getting all of the paper out of my 5.  It’s going to rain this week, though–once the rain comes, the rest of the paper will disintegrate.

The 4 and the 2 actually started to rust during my procrastination phase, which looks really cool (far cooler than I expected).  I’m looking forward to seeing how it changes with time.

What do you think?

img_0837.jpg

This entry was posted in DIY and Crafts, How To, Oakland Condo Decoration, Personal Projects. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Nailed! Our New House Numbers

1. Nadine says:

Very clever. It looks great!

2. That’s such a cute idea! (but my fave part is the “1/2″)

3. StefK says:

Wow, neato!! I like it!

4. Mom Olsher says:

Sari: That looks great and I see your bougainvillea in the background. Wonderful.

Mom

5. walletpuppy says:

Awesome. I’m sure the pictures don’t do it justice because I can imagine approaching and having that voila moment of realizing they’re tacks.

6. Jen says:

super cute! Love it.

7. LOVE! LOVE. LOVE. LOVE IT. It turned out so amazing!!

8. shannon says:

Yay! I totally love it!

9. Huckleberry Karen says:

Once again I am amazed. I need to find a wall now so I can hammer a bunch of nails in to it and make a number just to try it.

10. Stinkerpants says:

@mrs.csunsweetie: the 1/2 is my favorite part too!!!!

@Mom: The bougainvillea says thank you.

Thanks you guys!! walletpuppy is right–the pictures don’t really do it justice. I think it’s really cool. Whomever thought of this is a genius!

11. Pingback: DIY Modern House Address Numbers From Nails | Do-It-Yourself Fun Ideas